Survey Shows How Pandemic, Inflation Impact Driving

Oct 7, 2022 2 min read
Survey Shows How Pandemic, Inflation Impact Driving

What do you think of these results?

We were recently sent the results of an interesting survey conducted by U.S. News & World Report about how the pandemic and inflation has impacted the driving habits of Americans. It’s a topic we’ve thought plenty about, so we were interested to see the conclusions of the survey. We’re also curious what readers think of the results.

Watch the latest Motorious Podcast here.

Starting off with the pandemic impact, they sadly didn’t ask how many people drive with a mask on while they’re all alone, although that would’ve been interesting. Instead, they asked if they people less now than before the pandemic started.

Just over half, 51 percent to be exact, said they don’t while the other 49 percent said they do drive less now. Maybe some people got used to not going a lot of places after so many venues shut down, but it’s shocking if even close to half of the population has permanently altered their driving habits that much. Of course, that might be in part because of gas prices, which leads us to the next question.

When asked if they search for the cheapest gas prices before filling up their car, a whopping 84 percent answered that they do. With the price of just about everything going up lately, who can’t afford to shop for cheap gas? Again, the cost of fuel could be a big factor in limiting how much people drive, considering 61 percent of those surveyed said just that.

The final question in the survey focused on the pandemic again, asking if people tried to lower their car insurance rate during the pandemic. It would’ve made sense to do that considering people had more time on their hands and were driving less. However, only 40 percent of people said they did. We’d be interested with inflation on the rise if people are shopping around for insurance now, because we suspect the number would be much higher.

Check out the survey and the other questions asked here.

Lead image via Pexels

Great! Next, complete checkout for full access to Motorious.
Welcome back! You've successfully signed in.
You've successfully subscribed to Motorious.
Success! Your account is fully activated, you now have access to all content.
Success! Your billing info has been updated.
Your billing was not updated.